Welcome to Commonswood School and thank you for taking time to visit our website.
Please see our most recent OFSTED report below:
Commonswood is a two form entry primary school with nursery classes. We admit up to 60 children to each year group, with almost 450 pupils in total at present. Whilst we are larger than many primary schools, we still create a caring, warm and friendly family atmosphere. Each child is valued in our calm, creative and nurturing environment in which pupils thrive.
Our grounds are extensive and include a large sports field, orchard, ponds and wildlife habitats. We are currently developing our school grounds to include a forest school helping to put children back in touch with the natural world around them.
Our children ‘aim high’ at Commonswood Primary and Nursery School. Our pupils are happy, well-rounded and motivated to learn. Teaching and learning at our school fosters an inclusive, holistic approach to education that totally engages all children and celebrates equality and diversity.
10 Reasons to choose Commonswood Primary & Nursery School
1. Behaviour and safety of pupils at the school is very good.
2. Expectations are high and as a result, pupils behave well for all members of staff. The new
curriculum is purposeful, it contributes well to pupils academic achievement, their physical well-being, their
spiritual moral, social and cultural development as well as life in a modern democratic Britain.
3.An emphasis on outdoor learning, set within a conservation area provides children with rich and
engaging learning experiences.
4. Pupils have a love of learning as a result of an engaging curriculum which in turn promotes good behaviour and ensures pupil have a good understanding of safety matters.
5. The school’s positive and caring ethos and high expectations of behaviour and learning for all children support the development of personal and social education.
6. Teaching across the school is good with a growing proportion being outstanding. Pupils have very good learning attitudes and achievement is rapidly improving.
7. Regular analysis of data together with ongoing assessment for learning informs precise, guided learning. Pupils who have not made appropriate progress or are not on track to meet age-related expectations receive effective interventions led by highly qualified teachers.
8. The proportion of children achieving a good level of development at the end of EY is above National averages. There is an increase in the proportion of children working at or above Age Related Expectations (ARE) in most areas of learning compared to their entry data indicating better than good progress. The school’s actions secure improvement in disadvantaged pupils’ progress which is rising, including in English and mathematics. The proportion of children passing the Phonic Screening in Year 1 is consistently well above National averages.
9. 100% of prior higher attainers achieved L5 or above and the proportion of prior middle attainers achieving L5 or above is above National in all, maths, reading, Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar and significantly above National in Writing at the end of KS2.
10. Leaders and governors have a shared vision. They are ambitious for all pupils and focus on consistently improving outcomes for all pupils, but especially for disadvantaged and SEN/D pupils.
Commonswood has much to offer to our local community and if you are interested in a place at the school please come and visit us and see our delightful, vibrant school for yourself. Simply contact us to arrange a mutually convenient time. We look forward to building a strong, happy and successful partnership with you.